Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Millefiori Skull by Frescura


Millefiori Skull by Frescura 3-28-2008
Colored pencils and marker on card stock

I used to think that you had to have a vision of a finished product before you started a piece. This is not the case for my art. It comes to me, bit by bit, as I work on it.

Not sure exactly when I started this. I drew this skull and filled it with circles and then set it aside. When I pulled it back out, I started filling it in with lines and color and this is what I ended up with. It wasn't until many months later that I realized how much I was influenced by the books I was currently reading about polymer clay. That is how this piece eventually got it's name over a year later. Millefiori means "a thousand flowers" in Italian and is traditionally created using glass. The books I had checked out of the library had instructions on how to make intricate canes out of polymer clay to slice into beads or disks.

I never did make anything out of polymer clay, but it had obviously influenced me. If you have never seen Millefiori, here is a picture I just found on Google.


Click image for larger view

To see all my designs currently available on items at Cafe Press, go to:

http://www.cafepress.com/frescura

Here are a few items I just added. Click image for larger view.


Millefiori Skull Button


Millefiori Skull Banner


Millefiori Skull Sigg Water Bottle
I want one of these! =0)

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my! Your art is breathtaking!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE skulls, in fact my right arm tattoo is of 2 skulls with alot of stuff in between.
I love this piece as well named Cráneo con el Corazón Quebrado.
I even have Day of the dead window decals on my door for Halloween!
So happy to talk to someone with the same interests!
Talk soon xoxo!
*back to seeing more art on your blog :)

Lois Marie Frescura said...

Thanks Melissa! Would love to see a picture of your tattoos. I will get one myself someday...

Looking forward to keeping in touch.

Take Care! ~ Lois >^..^<

Jewels said...

Thanx for your kind comments on my latest work. Same here, I love both of those holidays! I just love this time of the year in general, thanxgiving & Christmas are great too, no need for gifts either, just time to hang with fam/friends and have good food!

Lois Marie Frescura said...

Thanks Sajan! =0)